Two and a half years ago was the first superintendent search Jeffco has experienced for some time as Dr. Stevenson led the district for quite a duration. Since the recalled Board Members took office, most of the executive leadership of the district left (one person remains from that cabinet), leaving quite a gap in historical perspective and knowledge for our beloved Jeffco Schools.
From the superintendent search just a few years ago, here was the timeline proposed to the public:
- 02/27-28/14 Individual board member interviews. (via phone)
- 02/27-28/14 Begin preparing information for the district promotional flyer and online application form with the district liaison representative(s).
- 03/06/14 Consultant planning meeting with the board (Time: 7:30 p.m.)
- 03/07/14 Notify all associates and other professional contacts of vacancy.
- 03/07/14 Contact constituents and stakeholders for input meetings on 03/18-19/14.
- 03/07/14 Online survey link, for input on developing the profile, available on district website from 03/07/14 to 03/28/14.
- 03/18-19/14 Meetings with constituent and stakeholder group representatives.
- 03/28/14 5 p.m. deadline for survey/input from constituents, stakeholders and board members, including online survey.
- 03/31/14 Promotional flyer draft due.
- 04/03/14 Board to finalize superintendent profile for the promotional flyer and online application form. (Time: TBD) (option to conduct via Skype, conference call or gotomeetings.com)
- 04/04/14 Print promotional flyer. Forward to consultant.
- 04/04/14 E-mail promotional flyer and online application instructions to interested candidates.
- 04/05-07/14 Recruitment at National School Boards Association (NSBA) conference.
- 04/25/14 Deadline for all application materials. (*See note below.)
- 05/05/14 Consultant develops and finalizes interview questions and procedures with the board. Semifinalists are presented to the board and consultant assists the board in selecting finalists for the interviews. If desired by the board, consultant will meet with constituents and staff interview group(s) to discuss their roles. (Time: 5:30 – 10:30 p.m.)
- 05/09-10/14 Interview semi-finalist candidates (1st round – 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. respectively.)
- 05/10/14 Meeting with consultant following the last interview. (Time: approx. 7:00 p.m.)
- 05/15/14 Interview finalist candidates (2nd round).
- 05/15/14 Final meeting with consultant following the last interview. (Time: approx. 9:30 p.m.) (option to conduct via Skype, conference call or gotomeetings.com)
- TBD Optional on-site visit of leading candidate(s) current district by board members.
- TBD Consultant will discuss contract terms with the finalist.
- TBD Offer the contract.
- TBD Press release of new superintendent.
- TBD Board Self-Assessment Survey Results presented to the board.
While it looked good on paper, our time was greatly wasted as the public gave overwhelming input in surveys and at forums that was completely ignored. The expensive consultant recommended the Board try to come to agreement on a Superintendent unanimously, that also didn’t happen as the recalled majority pushed their own wishes through.
Thankfully, our Board has also made a timely decision to begin the search and acted professionally. We also know that our Board is so much more prepared and organized and believe this process will be simplified and more effective.