Ray & Associates is still carrying out a five step process in the search for JeffCo’s Superintendent:
- Board Input and Preparation
- Profile Development and Process
- Recruiting and Screening
- Candidate Presentation
- Selection of Finalist and Future Planning
Following is the timeline that was handed out:
According to Ray & Associates, we are currently in Stage 2 – Profile Development and Process
Ray and Associates proposed several questions in an informal, large group discussion:
Management Style – What kind of management style are we looking for in a superintendent? A few of the themes that emerged:
– Clear communication
– Ability to project principles of management and vision
– Have buy-in by all stakeholders
– Someone who understands political, educational and leadership qualities
– Ability to negotiate different personalities
– Maintain high degree of outcomes for kids
– Collaborative (not agenda based)
– Ease current staff concerns so they can get back to what they need to do
– Maintain strong administration at the cabinet level, recognizing current strong talent
– Build capacity on school board collaboratively
– Need someone to figure out why people are now wanting to leave
– Change and uncertainty need to be addressed immediately
Critical Issues – What are the critical issues facing the district right now:
– Retention and continuity of talent
– Address insecurity of community
– Identification and hiring of candidate by mid-May?
Significant Strengths – What are the significant strengths of the district?
– Large district; contends well with diversity
– Academically strong
– Continuity – education and personnel must continue
– Diverse offerings of classes, programs, electives, activities, etc.
– Negotiations between board and union have been mutually beneficial – this must continue
– Anticipation of mandates from the Federal level
– Professional development of staff to address needs of each school and area; instructional coaches, etc.
Community Strengths – What are the strengths of the community?
– Parental involvement
– Organizations and companies feel sense ofpride, involvement and ownership
– Decisions are driven by what’s best for kids
– Educated, involved community – we need someone to reach out to the community
Three Qualities – what are your top three qualities in a superintendent
– Communication skills
– Someone who has been in education (there was some discussion about hybrid candidates; some hesitation)
– Ability to work with the BOE
– Expertise in instruction and management
– No pre-established agenda
– Work to bring board to concensus
– RESTORE CONFIDENCE AND TRUST (an overwhelming theme)
Ray and Associates is willing to extend the search beyond the deadline if necessary!
Visit their website: www.rayassoc.com