Our fabulous friends at the Colorado Department of Education have sent us an announcement opportunity! They want real parents and educators to participate! If you have a child with dyslexia, please apply and participate! If you are an educator with the experience required, please apply and participate! Your voice is crucial!
Here’s the announcement:
Dear Colorado Parent Advocates,
The Colorado Department of Education is announcing the application process for the Dyslexia Working Group and invites your nominations. The working group was established in the 2019 legislative session by the Colorado General Assembly through House Bill 19-1134. The legislation directs the Commissioner of Education to convene a Dyslexia Working Group to improve the identification of and educational support for students with dyslexia to improve their educational outcomes.
The working group will analyze state and national data and practices concerning identification and support of students with dyslexia. The working group is tasked with recommending dyslexia screening tools and processes, creating a statewide plan for identifying and supporting students with dyslexia, and consider educator training in recognizing and providing interventions for students with dyslexia.
By December 31, 2019, the working group will submit a progress report to the Commissioner of Education summarizing its progress. By July 1, 2020, the working group will submit a report to the Commissioner of its initial policy recommendations. The Commissioner must submit a report with any recommendations for legislation to the State Board of Education and the education committees of the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Colorado legislature by February 1, 2021. The working group will continue to meet regularly through the scheduled review by the legislature prior to September 2029. Each year of its existence, the Commissioner of Education will provide any recommendations for legislation. Membership on the working group will be for two years with the possibility for serving a second term upon selection after a re-application process.
Applications for the following legislatively defined committee representatives will be considered:
- A parent of a child who is identified as having dyslexia
- A parent of a child who is identified as having dyslexia and a disability
- A school district literacy specialist
- A school district director of special education
- A state or national literacy expert
- A state or national dyslexia expert
- Two elementary grade teachers, one of whom teaches in a rural school district or a small rural school district
- A principal who is employed at an elementary school in a rural school district or an employee of a board of cooperative services who has expertise as a literacy specialist
- A faculty member of an institution of higher education who teaches in an approved educator preparation program for elementary grade teachers
- A member of the local chapter of an international dyslexia association
Membership will be determined through an open application process and through nominations made by individuals and organizations.
Open applications for the working group begins on June 12, 2019 and will close on August 9, 2019. Applications can be accessed following this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DWGapplication.
Nominations should be submitted through the following link by July 31, 2019 to allow the department to contact nominees prior to the application closing date: https://forms.gle/a3Buq1oVJf5b2Jr36. Nominees will be notified by CDE and invited to submit an application.
Applications for each of the required representatives of the working group will be reviewed with consideration to a diverse membership based on geographical representation and individual knowledge and experience.
Questions about the nomination and application process can be sent to Melissa Colsman at email@example.com.